For our location in Ludwigshafen, Germany we are looking for a
Senior Scientist / Principal Scientist – Computational Molecular Design (m/w/d)
The role of Computational Molecular Designer is a key scientific role to advance our Neuroscience Drug Discovery portfolio by applying state-of-the-art and stage-appropriate computer-aided drug design and machine learning techniques. The role offers the opportunity to influence and shape the design and SAR strategy of several med chem project teams. The Computational Molecular Designer will work closely with the project teams from early exploratory stage to lead optimization contributing to the delivery of tool molecules, hits, leads and candidates. In addition to being embedded in AbbVie’s global Medicinal Chemistry organization, this role will work closely with cross-functional partners from neuroscience biology in LU and/or at the CRC in Boston and with partners from other relevant cross-functional partners locally and globally.
- Support and advance drug discovery projects from exploratory to lead and clinical candidate stage by delivering high quality science and developing computer-aided, hypothesis-driven, and property-focused compound design and in silico tools
- Pro-actively apply current state-of-the-art computer-aided drug design and machine learning techniques to solve a broad and diverse range of medicinal chemistry problems
- Expert-level knowledge of relevant state-of-the-art commercial and open source computational chemistry packages (e.g. Schrödinger, CCG, Cresset, OpenEye) and modern data analysis tools and their application to drug discovery projects
- Clear understanding of medicinal chemistry concepts and strategies with a track record of applying innovative solutions that have advanced drug discovery projects
- Identify CADD-related gaps and evaluate new computational chemistry tools to accelerate Neuroscience drug discovery projects
- Coach junior staff and advise and guide MedChem project teams on current best practices and relevant software packages in computer-aided drug design
- Be part of interdisciplinary research teams and closely interact with global MedChem design groups, the AbbVie CADD council and research informatics organizations to ensure access to critical resources
- Increase external and internal visibility through engaging with the scientific community and scientific publications
- Ph.D. in Medicinal or Computational Chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences or a related field and several years of experience in computational drug design and MedChem portfolio support (minimum 1 year in a pharma / biotech industry setting)
- Expert knowledge and experience in a broad spectrum of computational molecular design techniques applied in drug discovery such as protein modeling, ligand- and structure-based small molecule design, molecular dynamics, free energy calculations, data mining and machine learning and related commercial and open source software packages
- Proven track record in the application of those methods to medicinal chemistry problems in either early exploratory project support or in the generation of hits, leads and candidates
- Strong knowledge in organic chemistry and small molecule drug design and familiarity with pharmacological, medicinal chemistry and DMPK concepts
- Excellent presentation skills along with proven ability to work effectively in multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams promoting and facilitating coordination and cooperation among peers
- Evidence for the application of original or innovative thinking to improve processes, methods, systems, products, or services
- Fluent in English, both written and spoken. German is a bonus
Yes, 5 % of the Time
Job Level Code
We are looking forward to your online application. Please provide information about your salary expectations and possible start date in your motivation letter.
Alexander Krüger (email@example.com)
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.